Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Afterthought about the letters

I was thinking about the letter that Asbury writes to his mother and I can't help but draw a comparison to O'Connor's letters. We've talked about how even though her letters are not considered fiction, we can not look at them for insight into what her essence or personality may be. I was thinking the same thing with Asbury, how the letters are more like works of art rather than a final word before he dies. He fills two notebooks for one letter to his mother, and all it basically says is that she failed in doing her job as a mother. Why would you need two notebooks for that? Unless it was a very prosed way of doing so.

I guess the biggest difference is that O'Connor expected her letters to be published while Asbury does it as a private humiliation for his mother. But still... they have these target audiences and both seem a little impersonal, in my opinion.

Anyway, this was just an observation that we didn't really go over in class and that just struck me at the moment.

No comments: