Monday, December 15, 2008

Brad - Response

Since the day we talked about our re-reading of "Artificial Nigger," I've been paying attention to your paper topic in the other stories. I like how you've incorporated the question of O'Connor's opinions of her portrayal of country vs. city in her works. You've made a great connection between O'Connor's thoughts on the "ever-diminishing South" and her depiction of the "city" representing change. I know that there is a clear difference in the settings of O'Connor's city, and O'Connor's country, but I was wondering if you've thought about looking at the weather and the lighting within those settings? "Artificial Nigger" paints a vivid picture through the sun and the moon, and the contrasts between light and dark. They are completely different in the city than they are in the country, and I noticed that it definitely reflects the characters' moods. I know it's late in the game, but I thought this might help you explain the characters' attitudes towards the "big city." Good luck with the rest of your paper!!!

No comments: