Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Benefits of Class Discussion ("Magic")

I left today’s class realizing a few things I had not picked up on when reading the story myself, especially in “Magic”. At first I thought that Ninette leaves blood on her bed simply because of being kicked “in her most secret place” (Porter 40). Then the idea of miscarriage was thrown around class; I went back to the story, reread it and found that to be a very plausible theory. Even though pregnancy or miscarriage is never explicitly stated this does not mean it does not take place, just as the word prostitution is never mentioned even though the whole story focuses around it. There is evidence which would support the idea of miscarriage. After being beaten by the madam, Ninette returns to her bed “and she sat there holding her sides” as if she were in immense pain (Porter 40). Of all the places where the madam beat her, her stomach, her “most secret place” and her face, Ninette chooses to hold onto her sides. These pains which she pays special attention to could be the result of her miscarriage. Leaving blood stains on her sheets could also be another sign of miscarriage. Finally, the madam enters and tells Ninette that she is no longer of any good use to the “fancy house” and therefore sends her on her way. This all seems to support the idea of a miscarriage and I find that very interesting considering I did not pick up on it myself. Even though this may not have been Porter’s intention I am almost convinced that Ninette has had a miscarriage.

No comments: