Monday, September 8, 2008

He

This is both in response to Michelle's post, "He," and what I initially thought as I was reading Porter's short story.  As I read, I found myself emphasizing "He," "His," "Him," etc, in my head, and I naturally referred to Him in a religious context.  Mrs. Whipple is constantly worried about what other people think, and at the end of the story, she fears that He is thinking terrible things about her parenting.  When He is crying on the way to the Hospital, I don't think He is holding anything against Mrs. Whipple, even though she jumps to those conclusions.  He is full of love and courage, rather than feeling rage and holding grudges.  Throughout the story there are small biblical references, such as his feet hurting (Jesus on the cross,) and in the beginning He is recognized as someone who is almost invincible.  Despite His disability, He seems to be somewhat of a higher power, in that He does not feel pain in the beginning, and he is constantly giving to others when he is not even asked to do so.  I would have liked to see what happened once they arrived at the Hospital and said goodbye...I am intrigued to see how He reacted and how His parents handled the situation.  

No comments: