Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ghost References in "The Artificial Nigger"

Did anyone else notice the weird allusions/references to ghosts in this story? I do not know what to make of the strange appearance of ghostly descriptions and faces or the sometimes eerie tone. I was expecting the ghost references to lead somewhere; however, they seem to be isolated in occurrence and never culminate into any meaning that I can decipher.

For example, when Nelson and Mr. Head are waiting for the train O’Conner employs a ghostly simile: “Both the old man and the child stared ahead as if they were awaiting an apparition” (252). Also, when the two get on the train they sit next to a man who is described as having, “a pale ghost-like face” (253). In fact, the words “pale ghost-like face” are repeated two times in this paragraph. Later on during the train ride, Nelson starts to look out the window of the train but he stops because, “the face in the window stared out at him, gray but distinct (258). Nelson is called back to this moment when he is walking through the black neighborhood: “The sneering ghost he had seen in the train window and all the foreboding feelings he had on the way returned to him…” (262). No more similes or references to ghosts are made after this. I do not know what O’Conner is trying to do here other than create an uncanny tone. Maybe I caught on to something that is not supposed to be significant, but I felt as though her continual use of ghost references might lead somewhere.

3 comments:

meaganflannery said...

Again, maybe it's the Hitchcock movies I watch too much, but I also thought that the ghost theme was going to go somewhere too. I'm fascinated with ghosts in folklore but I'm not too familiar with those kind of references in literature. I guess my take on it would be foreshadowing of some sort? Sometimes ghosts can represent "ghosts of the past" that are usually foreboding. Since Nelson was born in the city, she might be alluding to something more that we never find out, or maybe are not catching on to.

I definitely agree though that it gave a very scary tone to that scene.

AllisonWalker said...

I did notice the ghost images and I find it interesting that they are mostly concentrated on the train. Since they are always reflections of the characters, I read them as a reference to the importance of looking outside of one's self for meaning. Just like Mr. Head realizes in the end that his pride is not what is important. We keep seeing the characters as mirrors of themselves, removed from themselves. Do you think this has anything to do with the discussion of God and forgiveness at the end?

Caroline Seib said...

I did notice the inclusion of ghastly imagery, but like you said, it seemed to disappear toward the end. All I can think of is: perhaps O'Connor is trying to make a statement about how the Holy Ghost should be intertwined in our lives, not "human" ghosts of fear. Isn't the entire downfall moment of Mr. Head caused by sinful fear?