Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Commitment

There are many interesting and valid ways to look at Porter's "Theft," such as through the lens of gender and of ownership. But even after our class discussion I still have some unresolved thoughts on the final line, "I was right not to be afraid of any thief but myself, who will end by leaving me nothing."

My first interpretation was that things can be taken away, but it is only theft if she places personal value on them. Therefore, there can only be one thief--herself. After revisiting the story a few times, I would apply this to every facet of her life, not just things.

The protagonist has commitment issues all the way around, as do those around her. By engaging in casual affairs with unavailable men, she not only avoids "traditional" relationship commitments, but she also protects herself from having her heart broken. This is symbolically addressed via her comment about never locking doors "on some principle of rejection in her that made her uncomfortable in the ownership of things... she had never lost a penny by theft."

The word that stands out for me is rejection. She has never lost a penny not because they haven't been taken from her--they have--but because if she commits to nothing she can lose nothing, most glaringly in her relationships.

No comments: