Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Grotesque

I would love to discuss O'Connor's "Some Aspects of the Grotesque in Southern Fiction" on page 813 .

The main reason I would like to discuss this is because I enjoy O'Connor's use of the grotesque in her writing. I like her description of it on page 816: "It's not necessary to point out that the look of this fiction is going to be wild, that it is almost of necessity going to be violent and comic, because of the discrepancies that it seeks to combine."

Another reason I would like to discuss this essay is because it seems to meander quite a bit, and ultimately, I didn't find it to be about the grotesque, really, so much as a vehement defense of Southern writers.

As she states on page 815: "I have found that anything that comes out of the South is going to be called grotesque by the Northern reader, unless it is grotesque, in which case it is going to be called realistic."

This seems to be a very defensive if not angry essay, and I'm curious about what sparked this essay.

No comments: