Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sentimentality

In response to Porter's definition of sentimentality, I would like to defend my critique of "Pale Horse, Pale Rider". I understand that people experience love and I think that writing about it can be well done. However, I do believe that Porter is portraying this love story as overly dramatic and unrealistic (and I am not solely referring to the scene in which Miranda asks for Adam to proclaim his love to her). I cannot help but feel like Porter is just trying to get the reader to cry, using some of the very same techniques that are used in popular “low” literature today. Yes, I know people tend to find relationships in times of desperation, and that these feelings can be emphasized because of the situation.

I do feel like Porter does not write about “new” love very often, so why in this story? Why in this way? To me, her description of love is 2-dimentional. Miranda finds Adam handsome (She makes several referrals to his blond hair and nice looking frame) and sweet, and besides having to experience the war together, there is no real substance there. And of course, the only hindrance to their relationship is the war/sickness. Why does Porter make everything about the relationship perfect besides the war? Why didn’t Porter go for something less sentimental, less ideal, and more realistic? I mean wouldn’t it be interesting if the reader were pushed to think about Adam in a more complicated light? Sorry if this makes anyone mad, but I feel like I have seen/read better portrayals of “new” love.

1 comment:

meaganflannery said...

I totally respect your opinion about her sentimentality in PHPR. I will play a little bit of devil's advocate on the defense of sentimental writing, as well as art in general though.

I guess the only way I can relate to this is through my own studies in film, but film had the same shift (actually several) away from sentimentality as literature did. It is always seen as a weaker form of art, and some will even argue that it doesn't invoke realism. I guess my problem is that I don't know what the problem is with sentimental writing/art. I don't think that it is necessarily weak.

I don't know, I guess I just really see a problem, even if it is sentimental, if the emotion/point gets across. We talked about how they came together because of the war/sickness. So it would make sense that some sort of sentimentality would be needed, especially if you want to argue that their love isn't really "real."