Sunday, October 19, 2008

Initiating Phase Two

I am going to go ahead and post my letter for tomorrow, if you all don't mind.

Since we are wrapping up Pale Horse Pale Rider tomorrow with a discussion on the futility of war and also starting to read some letters, I found a couple letters that tie in with what we have been talking about in class and on the blog. I seriously can't choose which one I want to talk about more, so I might read both (I hate to get that started, but even eeny, meeny, miny mo isn't working), before we move on to other topics.

The first letter is in Letters of Katherine Anne Porter on page 177. It is written to Lodwick Hartley May 4, 1940. I want to read this one because it talks about Porter's motivation for writing Pale Horse Pale Rider, and she also writes about how she feels about being referred to as a woman writer.

The second letter is also in Letters of Katherine Anne Porter on page 389 (bottom). It is written to James Stern July 15, 1950. I want to read this letter because she writes about her feelings about war, which may be useful in class on Monday if we will be talking about war.

Also, when I was skimming through the book, I found a letter that Porter wrote just after she finished Pale Horse Pale Rider that is dated in December 1937, not 1939 like I thought (which is also a really interesting letter, but I need to seriously stop). Oops! Sorry about that!

2 comments:

Heather Loser said...

I agree, the Lodwick Hartley letter is one I am interested in because it is always intriguing to see what motivates authors to write.

Jessica Schenk said...

The Letter to Hartley is a good one to review because Porter discusses her feelings regarding Miranda and Adam. She also mentions how this text is very autobiographical, which is interesting as well.