Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Letter for Day 2: Porter, pg. 169

One letter that has caught my attention is from Porter to Glenway Wescott, from 1939 and on page 169.  I initially picked out the letter because I recognized the places she talks about, but I think it is very telling about how she viewed herself as a writer and how she viewed other writers.

First off, I was very surprised to see how she talks of Somerset Maugham, an author considered to be in the "canon" as much as she is.  Because he is "phony," he could be elected to an academic position?  What might she be saying about true artists and writers?

Also, there is the bit about her secretly reading the article Wescott wrote about her, dropping the magazine if anyone passed by her.  Did Porter feel any guilt about relishing in her success?  A very interesting letter.

No comments: