Monday, November 10, 2008

A Catholic D.P.

****Catch up post*****

So for a while my internet was not working, and I'm finally going to sit down and catch up on the posts. But I'm changing the dates so as to not disrupt the blogging flow.

We talked about in class that the DP might actually be Catholic and not Jewish. I had never thought of this before that particular class, and now I'm a little ashamed of myself. Granted, I do not know a whole lot about either religions, but I kind of feel like I fell into some racism in thinking that the Jews were the only ones being displaced.

I do find it interesting though, but I'm not really sure what to think of it, considering that not only is O'Connor Catholic, but racist. The DP is obviously murdered, after being treated terribly throughout the story through the narrative. However, when he dies everything falls apart (but maybe they were already falling apart, because of Mrs. Shortley's stroke?). His religion is described as primitive, so I guess I'm not sure how this would apply to O'Connor. I wish I had thought about this in class, but not I'm just putting the two together.

No comments: