Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Maria Concepcion - Gender

As I was rereading Maria Concepcion today, I was actually drawn to the question of female roles in the story, as well. I found that Juan strayed from a woman who was, in many ways, superior to him; he was drawn to a younger, more fragile girl. Maria Concepcion is portrayed as an extremely independent, strong woman. What surprises me each time I read this story is the face that Maria C. blames Maria Rosa for the affair. After she witnesses it, Porter explains, "her anger against him died, and her anger against Maria Rosa grew" (pg 8). Being that Maria C. is represented with strength, almost as powerful as any man in the story, I would think that she'd understand Juan's faults in the situation. Because Maria C. is a female in Mexico, "...she [was] being punished for her pride" (pg 9). Had Juan paid for his own wedding, there would not have been such talk around town. Maria C. is portrayed as being at fault for the outcome of her marriage, mainly because she is undeserving of her power as a woman.

No comments: