Sunday, November 30, 2008

"He" is better off dead?

There seems to be a common theme with these two authors in killing people who don't have the same kind of future that most people around them do. Any kind of deformity or unwanted background calls for the character to be sacrificed for the greater good of the other characters. I know He wasn't killed, but he might as well have been. We talked about how the homes that special needs people go into were terrible back then, and it is pretty apparent that He already has been sick or having some sort of other trouble.

I don't really have a whole lot to say about this story, except that I'm wondering what the purpose of this is? I don't think I'm comfortable with just thinking that this is how the authors feel, but maybe it's how they feel about humanity?

1 comment:

Heather Loser said...

I think Porter is exploring the old testament idea of deformities or ailments being sins and marks of God's wrath. I don't necessarily think it is because of Porter's personal views on worth but rather her pointing out the still bias society that pushes the unwanted to the margins.