Monday, December 1, 2008

returning to "The River" one last time

In going over The River again over break, I wanted to attempt an answer to one of Michelle's questions on Friday that we really did not cover much.

The question was....
Why doesn't Bevel have a beatific vision?

I am wondering if the "pig" Bevel "sees" in Mr. Paradise could serve the same purpose as such a vision. On page 171, the narrative voice states that Bevel "saw something like a giant pig bounding after him, shaking a red and white club and shouting."

We know this is Mr. Paradise and he was trying to help with a candy cane, but what Bevel sees is much more menacing and threatening. Now I know it is not a celestial vision, but Bevel clearly sees something other than what is there, and considering that pigs are used throughout the story, I cannot help but think that O'Connor means this to be something of a vision: perhaps this is just another thing that Bevel gets wrong, just as his attempt to baptize himself?

Whatever the case may be, I think this misinterpreted vision is important, and I hope this helps?

No comments: