Monday, December 1, 2008

good book on disabilities

Our conversation today on O'Connor's preoccupation with those with disabilities or deformities reminded me of a book I read for a religious studies class years ago.

The book is called Between Heaven and Earth, and it's by Robert A. Orsi.

It's a book about Catholicism, pre-Vatican II, and neither of our two authors are ever mentioned, but a great part of it deals with Catholicism and the disabled.  Orsi goes as far as to argue that in giving charity to the disabled, they are fetishized or set apart as "the exotic Other," and he makes a great case for it.

Orsi argues that this phenomenon is distinctly Catholic, not really present as fetishized in any other branch of Christianity.

I thought for those writing on O'Connor, this could be interesting considering not only her religion but her pre-Vatican II stance on that religion.

I know it's very late in the game, but I thought perhaps this source could help.

No comments: