Friday, December 12, 2008

Response to Jennifer

You've got a very compelling topic. Porter portrayed herself a feminist, but does her work reflect that? As you point out, her female characters are typically permissive or promiscuous.

"Theft" in particular, as you say, is great example.

I like your taking on of the internalization of the male gaze, a more insidious and quite common form of sexism. I'm curious how that looked at the time of Porter's writing, when sexism was more overt than it is today.

Not sure how much you're going to look at this, but I wonder how much Porter was attempting to work out these issues for herself in her writing? As a female writer who seemed to have at times been a victim of the subordination of women, and at other times to have been a strong, powerful force, how much was she working through her own issues in stories like "Theft" and "Magic"?

Great topic, and I love the sociological bent you're taking. I think it's very interesting.

No comments: